I love using herbs for many reasons!
Number one is because of their powerful healing properties. It amazes me that one plant can have such diverse health benefits!
I like that I can use herbs in different ways. I can put them in my salads, tea or smoothies. I can also use them as essentials oils. Most of all, using herbs mean I can heal my body without chemicals and magic pills.
If you want to improve your health, Shatavari is a must-try! It’s one of the best herbs for women, especially if you have a hormonal imbalance. Shatavari benefits are simply amazing!
Shatavari supports healthy hormone levels from puberty to menopause. It can help reduce stress, relieve menopause symptoms and regain internal balance. The herb is popular for being an “estrogen booster”, but it also supports healthy progesterone levels.
With its wide range of benefits, it’s no wonder Shatavari is called the “Queen of all Herbs” in Ayurveda!
What is Shatavari?
The meaning of Shatavari is so intriguing. It means “a woman with a thousand husbands”! Nope, it won’t give you an instant husband, but it will boost your female health functions.
Shatavari is also called Asparagus Racemosus, Satavar and Shatamull. Other common names of this powerful herb are buttermilk root, climbing asparagus, water root and wild asparagus.
Shatavari is highly revered in the ancient Indian healing system of Ayurveda. It has been used for 1,000 years as a reproductive tonic and hormone balancer. In fact, Shatavari is a go-to for women with fertility issues in India. Countless supplements are also made from Shatavari roots.
Best of all, it is a popular aphrodisiac! If you want to bring back your mojo and enjoy better sex, you might want to try Shatavari one of these days!
Other incredible Shatavari benefits include reducing stress, relaxing your nervous system, keeping the immune system strong and boosting blood circulation. It’s also rich in vitamins and minerals, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
Dr. John Douillard is an Ayurvedic expert, and he knows a lot about herbs. He highly recommends the use of Shatavari during menopause. Listen to him explain about the different Shatavari benefits [2:15]!
Shatavari Benefits for Menopausal Women!
Shatavari supports healthy estrogen levels during menopause. It’s rich in phytoestrogens, plant-based estrogens, which blend well inside the body. Phytoestrogens are less potent, but they can still function like your natural estrogen.
Besides having phytoestrogens, Shatavari is rich in adaptogens. These are natural compounds that help with your internal balance. Shatavari is also food for the adrenal glands and central nervous system. It also boosts the functions of your thyroid gland, gut and brain.
For these reasons, Shatavari can relieve a lot of menopause symptoms. Check out some of Shatavari benefits below!
- Relieves hot flashes and night sweats – With good estrogen levels, your brain, especially the hypothalamus (temperature regulator) works well. It also helps relax your blood vessels and regulates blood flow. All these help relieve hot flashes and night sweats.
- Prevents vaginal dryness and boosts sex drive – Shatavari stimulates your adrenals to produce progesterone and testosterone. These two hormones, along with estrogen, can boost the health of your vaginal tissues. They also increase blood flow to your reproductive organs. As a result, sexual sensation and natural lubrication increases.
- Reduces mood swings, anxiety, depression and sleep problems – The herb can increase your happy hormones, especially serotonin and dopamine. These hormones relax your central nervous system, which helps ease mood symptoms and trouble sleeping.
- Improves your stress response – The adaptogens in Shatavari nourish your adrenal glands – your body’s major stress regulator. They also detoxify your adrenals from free radicals and slow them down when they’re working too hard. This prevents adrenal fatigue and helps you cope with stress better.
- Enhances brain functions – Toxins disturb your brain’s natural pathways. They also hinder proper communication to your body. Shatavari has strong antioxidant properties that prevent oxidative stress. Oxidative stress happens when your body is overloaded with toxins.
- Speeds up metabolism and weight loss – The herb stimulates your thyroid glands to produce ample amounts of thyroid hormones. Your hormones boost energy, speed up metabolism, burn fat faster and help you lose weight.
- Heals the gut – Shatavari cleanses your gut by boosting your digestive enzymes. Enzymes break down fats, carbohydrates and proteins faster. They also help in absorbing nutrients from food in the small intestines.
- Strengthens immunity – the roots of Shatavari are rich in nutrients called sapogenin. Sapogenin helps your immune system make all types of immune cells. This allows you to fight infections and diseases during menopause. Sapogenin is also an anti-inflammatory.
Kevin Casey, founder of Banyan Botanicals has a good video where he shares some powerful Shatavari benefits [2:13].
What to Remember When Buying Shatavari Supplements!
Shatavari comes in powder, table and liquid extracts. In India, where they have access to fresh Shatavari herbs, most people mix it with ghee or honey water. This is to lessen the herb’s bitter taste.
In the U.S., Shatavari tablets are popular among women because they’re more convenient to take. When buying Shatavari supplements, it’s good to consider quality and price. It’s also best to check the company selling it.
Does your supplier use quality herbs? Were the herbs grown via organic farming? This ensures that you’re getting herbs that have no pesticides and chemicals. Make sure the supplier has supplements that are USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) certified organic!
You know what I like best about herbs? They don’t only relieve your symptoms, they also target the root cause of your discomforts. Besides this, they help balance body functions and boost the health of your organs. Herbs are a great support for us during menopause!
Need more menopause relief?
Go to our help and self-help page!
Want to know the ins and outs of menopause?
Head to our homepage!
So, what do you think of Shatavari? Is it on your list of must-try herbs? We’d love to know your thoughts, share it below in the comment box! Experience all the amazing Shatavari benefits with your family and friends! Share this post on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter!