Jump roping may seem like it’s an activity only for kids, but it brings so much fun and benefits to adults too. A news article on children’s health mentioned that jumping rope can be an effective way to prevent heart diseases, as early as childhood days. The earlier jump roping is done, the earlier it can help you live and lead a healthier life. Learn more about the benefits of jumping ropes and see how it can help you maintain good health, especially during menopause.
Healthy Reasons for Jump Roping
Many people love jump roping. The activity is so simple, but it brings so much fun! It is an inexpensive workout because you will only need the jump rope to exercise, plus space you can do it in. This is an excellent home workout! It’s also great for warm-up and cool-down exercises, depending on the intensity of your jumping. Many love the workout because of the health benefits of jumping rope.
1. Flushes the lymphatic system. Just like rebounding workout, one of the best jump rope benefits is improving the body’s internal circulation. The flow of the lymphatic system relies on your movements and jump roping activities can enhance its flow. As a result, the toxins are flushed easier and better. This can also help fight toxic overload.
2. Excellent for your skin! Because there is good circulation when you jump rope, your skin receives proper oxygenation. Through this, your skin is more nourished. Plus, it helps eliminate toxins from your body as you sweat them out.
3. Burns calories and helps you lose weight. If you are looking for an easy way to lose weight, jump roping would be a good one to do. Even a short jump rope session can already bring you far. What more if you engage in rigorous jump roping? Although the weight loss you so wished for will not happen overnight, your regular workout will give you more benefits than you can imagine.
4. Improves coordination and bone strength. Aside from losing weight, you can also improve your coordination when using the jump rope. It also strengthens your bones, with the simple up and down jumping activity. It could further help prevent osteoporosis. However, if there has been a history of fracture, it would be best to consult a doctor before using the jump rope regularly.
5. Enhances heart and lung functions. With every jump you take, your heart is also working. Daily jump ropes could train your heart to endure even strenuous activities. As you move, you practice your lungs to strive while you breathe in tune with your activity.
6. Good for the brain. Blood circulation is improved, and your brain gets optimal oxygenation. Because of this, you get the chance to enhance your brain development, improve your memory and mental alertness.
7. Calms your mind and body. Jump roping can help relieve the tension in your body. As a result, you are less stressed or anxious. If you think you are frequently having anxieties, start a few jump roping sessions until you make it a habit.
If you look at it, this exercise is actually a full-body workout. Everything is moving inside and out. You are moving your arms, legs, abdomen and back physically, but inside you, your heart, lymphatic system, brain and other organs are working too!
What to Do
Here are some points you need to remember when you work out with a jump rope.
Before Jump Roping
- Wear comfortable clothing. It is advised to wear shoes to make your feet comfortable as you land after each jump.
- Choose the right work area. Make sure you have enough space to do your exercise.
- Prepare your jump rope and other things you may want to have, like a face towel to wipe off your sweat and water to get refreshed.
When Jump Roping
Jump roping can help warm up before an exercise and be a part of a proper workout routine. When warming up with jump ropes, you can follow a slower pace and pick it up to a more rigorous level for the workout proper.
If you don’t have a routine to follow yet, you can make your own or follow simple video tutorials. To start with, here’s a video of a simple 10-minute workout with a jump rope.
The question is, how long should you use the jump rope every day? You can use the jump for at least 10 minutes to as long as you can! Some people use the jump rope for 30 minutes straight! Depending on your level, you can start slow and for a short duration, then try to do the routines longer the next day and the days to follow.
After Jump Roping
- If you have a short routine as shown in the video above, you can choose to go over another round of jump rope workout.
- If you want to do another method or move to another exercise tool, you can do so as you wish.
- Don’t forget to cool down and stretch a bit to finish everything off.
- Clap your hands and congratulate yourself for a job well done!
It doesn’t take an expert to learn how to jump rope. You can start small and slowly. You will be surprised that you are getting better and better each time you use the jump rope.
Which Jump Rope to Use
It is easy to find jumping ropes in the market today. You have to consider the type of jump rope depending on the intensity of your workout and the level of your expertise.
Mostly for professionals, they use speed jump ropes. Boxers often use this type of jump rope during their training. For beginners, there are very affordable types of jump ropes. Usually, these are cloth ropes or PVC ropes. If you want an added challenge to your workout, there are those weighted jump rope handles that you can buy. This helps you have a better workout for your upper body.
The length of the jump rope also varies between users. But how do you know the right length to use? The rope should reach each side of your shoulders as you step on the center of the rope. There are some ropes with adjustable lengths, but these are often found in professional jump ropes.
Learn More about Jump Roping
For beginners, it would be best to start with the simple steps as provided in the video above. However, if you have been jump roping for a long time and would want to learn more intense jump rope techniques, you can find easy courses online.
Many people can help you out, and one of them is the world-renowned jump rope expert Buddy Lee. He has an online course for jump rope training, which can be done in several methods. You have to choose which ones are convenient for you. Check out the Buddy Lee Jump Ropes to get more information on the course.