Nuts are known to be the perfect snacks you can munch on any time of the day. But, these nuts are not just your simple snack bits! They are filled with nutrition that your body needs! An ounce of any kind or a combination of nuts can bring you a lot of vitamins and minerals, essential fatty acids and protein! Here are more of the benefits you can get from them:
- High energy snack!
- Good source of fiber, which helps in an improved metabolism and a better digestive function.
- Balance bad and good cholesterol that helps prevent heart diseases
- Contain Omega 3 fatty acids that have anti-inflammatory properties, which further help prevent joint pain in arthritis
- Rich in Vitamin B and Vitamin E for healthier nerves and skin
- Packed with antioxidants that optimizes health and well-being
Aside from those health benefits, many people like eating nuts because they are easy to pick and they are tasty too! You can eat nuts as they are, or you can add them you tour favorite dishes! There are many ways that nuts can be consumed. And we will look into some recipes for nuts, as we go on with the article.
Let’s start looking into Ten (10) of the most common and most nutritious nuts in the market today.
Healthy Nuts around the World
- Almonds – contain carbohydrates, fiber, good fat, and protein; Loaded with minerals like Magnesium, Manganese, Zinc and Copper!
- Brazil Nuts – helps in protecting and boosting the thyroid function and the immune system; Moderate eating of these nuts is advised. About 2-4 per day is suggested if each nut weighs 5 g.
- Cashew Nuts – helps prevent anemia from its copper nutrition; protects the integrity of the blood vessels and helps regulate the heartbeat; prevents rheumatoid arthritis; One study found out that Cashew nuts helps lower the risk of gallstone formation in women.
- Chestnuts – helps in the formation of fresh blood and aids in DNA synthesis; help remove free radicals from the body.
- Hazelnuts – relieves constipation and promotes better digestion; has anti-inflammatory property and promotes the health of the bones and teeth.
- Macadamia – lowers the risk of heart disease in individuals with high cholesterol; protects damages of the heart and reduces complications; also aids with weight management.
- Pecan – helps in eliminating toxic oxygen-free radicals, which in turn helps in preventing cancer and other diseases; decreases inflammation, and protects the heart by reducing oxidative stress.
- Pine – helps boosts energy and suppresses appetite! helps with weight control naturally as its vitamin B boosts metabolism!
- Pistachio – Studies suggest that pistachios turn out to have probiotic dietary fibers; rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids like oleic acid; Pistachio oil is also used in the cosmetic industry to prevent the dryness of the skin.
- Walnuts – Researches sighted that walnuts stabilize the levels of bad cholesterol and good cholesterol in the body; helps reduce the risks of diabetes; lowers blood pressure, prevents stroke, and provides protection from breast, colon and prostate cancer; regulates the growth and development of sperm cells and DNA synthesis. According to experts, seven (7) walnuts can give you enough nutrients to help you boost your health and stay young!
Easy and Healthy Nut Recipes
Some nuts are already in butter, milk or oil forms. But, wouldn’t it be nice to make them on your own? It’s quite easy to prepare nuts in different ways!
Homemade Nut Butter
This recipe is definitely for everybody. You can now eat nut butters without the guilt of having to eat too much! Make your own nut butter at home. It's not only easy and quick to do, but it's also a lot more delicious and healthy! Check this out [2:04 minutes]:
Easy Stovetop Nut Granola
Granola is a healthy snack and you can place whatever bits and pieces that you like in it! Experiment with different kinds of nuts with your favorite fruits and healthy seeds! Check this video on how to make your very own granola mix without using the oven! It's quick and easy (3:55 minutes)!
Meridian food site offers different products, and recipes created from nuts. The most drooling, satiating, palate-pleasing foods, with complete ingredients and step-by-step procedures can be found at the site! However, their products are only available within the regions of UK. But no worries! You can make your own jellies, or nut spreads just by browsing their recipes that are easy and print-ready.
Tips for Healthy Eating!
- Most nuts are high in calories, that's why they can provide you with more energy! But, it is advisable to eat them in moderation.
- You can vary your nut consumption daily and don't have to stick to eating one kind of nut. Different nuts have varied nutrition. Eat the type of nuts, depending on your needs.
- Based on our Top 10 list of nuts, Macadamia has the highest calories and fat content, while Chestnuts have the highest carbohydrates. Pecans, Hazelnuts and Pistachios have the highest fiber content. Almonds and Pistachios are richest in protein.
- Raw nuts are harder to digest than soaked and dehydrated nuts. If you think it's a little challenging for your digestive system to take fully raw nuts, you can soak or dehydrate them before eating.
- When making nut milk, remember that some nuts need to be soaked to release the phytates off them. Especially with Almonds, these nuts need soaking before you make milk out of them.
When buying nuts to consume, it is best to look for items that are organic. You can read the label and check if the product is certified organic. As much as possible you would want to get nuts that are in their most natural forms. You can visit your local groceries or health food shops to buy these nuts. But, you have the option to buy them online, which would also be convenient.
Which of these nuts do you include in your diet? Are there any other healthy nuts we should know about? Share it with us below.