What does it mean to be mentally strong? Could this be the way to pure happiness? Mental strength is a person’s set of attributes that enable him or her to go on through life’s challenges without losing confidence. When difficult times come your way, how do you respond to them? Do you see yourself as mentally tough?
What it Takes to Be Mentally Strong
According to sports psychology research, it takes six (6) elements to make you mentally tough!
Be Flexible. Change could be one of the biggest challenges we have in life. It’s either one will accept the change and move on or struggle with it. To be mentally tough, you must be able to face unexpected events by being flexible.
Be Responsive. When change happens, one should be ready to face challenges. You should be open to embracing possibilities. The best way to achieve this is to be proactive. It means that it is good to prepare for anything that might happen.
Be Strong. Be game-ready. Most of the time, things that make you falter are those that you are not properly prepared for. Prepare with the strength to go on with life even when you are under pressure. Even when you feel like you are in the losing team, focus on your goals, and it will help you flip the negatives to the positives.
Have Courage and Practice your Ethics. Doing what is right will help you reach your goals faster than you think. Some people may try to create shortcuts thinking that it’s a better and easier way. But, they miss looking into the consequences. Avoid the temptations to do so. Oftentimes, the hardest but right decisions bring you right on to your goal.
Embrace Resiliency. When you fall, avoid sulking in a corner. Take it as a lesson learned instead. Pull yourself together, get back up and strive to come back better! Disappointments come your way, but the world doesn’t end with their existence. Smile through your hardships, and the universe will bring more positivity to you.
Show sportsmanship. Life after all is not always about winning. It’s more on your journey, the fun, the lessons and the good times! The disappointments that come your way, will soon pass too. It is good to accept your weaknesses, because through it, you will be able to discover your strengths as well.
Benefits of Having Mental Strength
With a good mental strength, you can:
- Relax even under pressure.
- Focus on your priorities better
- Ward off negative thoughts and self-doubts.
- Motivate yourself better by setting meaningful goals
- Be more confident and have a positive outlook
- Recognize your weaknesses but turn them into strengths
- Rebound with grace from failures or mistakes
Ways to Achieve Mental Strength
When you are stressed out, take time to meditate. Experts believe that mindful meditation works similarly with anti-depressants. Of course, you can’t expect for the changes to happen overnight. However, if you start the change within you this early, then you get to feel the fulfillment soon enough. Plus, meditation trains you to have a stronger character too!
Exercise Your Body and Brain
Physical exercise does not only improve your physical health. It nourishes your brain since it enhances blood circulation. As a result, the brain functions better and allows your train of thought to flow fluidly. It is also best to exercise your brain. Here’s a simple mental workout you can do for only 100 seconds daily! Check this video out.
Dr. Jason Selk has also written a book entitled Organize Tomorrow Today: 8 Ways to Retrain Your Mind to Optimize Performance at Work and in LifeThe book tells us that it is good and healthy habits that bring success and not just mere talent. The book will also teach you to make an organizational plan for your success!
Enjoy a Good Laugh
According to Dr. Stephanie Davis in her book Laughology: Improve Your Life with the Science of Laughter, when you laugh, it increases your “Happy Hormones”. As a result, your brain is more relaxed, alert and efficient in doing its job. There is actually a laughter yoga that you can participate in to de-stress and let your brain experience positive vibes.
Relax with Music
Like the Yoga instructor and composer Alecia Sheilah, experts believe that music can help people achieve inner peace. In a review study, music was evaluated and evidences where checked as it works with the improvement of overall health and well-being.
Develop your Hobbies
Enjoy recreation that fits your taste. If you love plants, take care of your garden. If you love arts, you can paint or create crafts. Travel with your spouse or participate in a retreat! You can do pretty much whatever you want and what your heart desires. This is a great way to relax your body and bring peace to your mind from the daily and stressful grind.
Manage Your Time
Time management is a simple task but not all people have mastered it. To enhance your mental strength, this is an important factor to live stress-free. It can further help you reduce anxiety and depression. Planning plays a big role to success and it promotes positive thoughts and your mental health in general.
More Tips for Mental Strength Enhancement
- Don’t be afraid to spend time for yourself.
- Avoid dwelling on past issues. What is more important is the now and what is to come.
- Don’t carry the world alone on your shoulders. Learn to open up to the people around you. Talk to your family and friends, especially the ones who are mentally strong as well.
- Take it easy. The answer to your questions will not always be “Yes” But, consider that there could be a better “Yes” ahead.
- You don’t have to please everybody. Other’s opinions about you do not define your worth. YOU define you.
- Take action. If you want something, do something about it.
To sum it all up, having mental strength means not giving up! As the saying goes, “Rest if you must, but don’t you quit!”
- 10 Ways to Achieve a Youthful Glow in Midlife
- 8 B-Vitamins and Their Surprising Benefits for Midlife Health
- 7 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Miss Vitamin A in Menopause
- VITAMIN C: The UNBEATABLE Immune Booster for Midlife Health
- 5 Weighted Blanket Benefits and Why You Should Get One
- 7 Benefits of Chocolate and Guilt-Free Recipes to Try!