Ease your menopause symptoms and optimize your health with the help of the wonder herb, Shatavari!
Menopause is a time of great change, but it can also be a happy and enjoyable time in your life. I’ve had my fair share of discomforts (mood swings and anxiety to be specific). But with healthy eating, regular exercise and with herbs like Shatavari, we can overcome our symptoms in the natural way.
Shatavari is the “Queen of Herbs”! Aside from being useful in menopause, it also helps us stay young, glowing and happier. With its many health benefits, Shatavari is used all over the world for a variety of reasons!
Let’s get to know more about this herb, what it can do for us in menopause and some things to remember when using it!
7 Best Shatavari Benefits for Menopausal Women!
While stress and poor lifestyle influences how we experience menopause, one cause of our symptoms is because of our hormones. When we have hormonal imbalance, this disturbs our physiologic, mental and emotional functions, and we experience menopause symptoms.
Shatavari is a phytoestrogenic herb. This herb contains plant-based estrogens called phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens are good for the body because they are able to supplement for your estrogen deficiency during menopause. Experts say phytoestrogens are safe because they are less potent and they do not alter chemistry of your hormones. They also blend well with your endogenous estrogens without disturbing their functions.
Now that you know what’s inside Shatavari, here are 7 of its best benefits during menopause!
- Relieve hot flashes and night sweats. Reduce vasomotor symptoms such as hot flashes and night sweats with the use of Shatavari. This herb relaxes the central nervous system (CNS), where the hypothalamus is part of. The hypothalamus is the temperature regulating center of the body. As a direct result, you are able to ease hot flashes and night sweats. In addition, Shatavari also has cooling properties. Therefore, when the body’s temperature rises at abnormal levels, it can help combat the heat.
- Ease vaginal dryness. This is a common condition in menopause which can affect our libido. When the vagina is dry, it’s hard to enjoy sex, because it can be painful. Most often, women avoid having intercourse because of this. Hence, we tend to avoid having sex, which can worsen vaginal dryness even more. Since Shatavari is oily and greasy by nature, it can help moisten your vaginal area. Aside from providing lubrication, this herb has antibacterial properties which serves as protection.
- Prevent anxiety, depression and mood swings. Have you ever experienced getting irritated, sad, frustrated or nervous for no reason? Sometimes, it can be overwhelming. Using Shatavari regularly, can help you manage your emotions better. This herb stimulates and balances the production of our happy hormones. Endorphin, serotonin and dopamine are all essential to keep us calm, relaxed and happy.
- Combat fatigue. Do you feel exhausted, sluggish or distracted? You might be experiencing fatigue! Stress is a result of many factors. It might be because of declining hormones, unhealthy lifestyle or menopause itself. Shatavari has anti-stress properties that can help you regain your balance. It keeps your hormones in check and calms the mind and body. To be more effective in relieving stress, you have to slow down and take things one at a time. Sometimes, calling a time out can help bring back your zest in life!
- Improve memory lapses. Experienced scrambling around looking for something? You can’t seem to remember where you placed it. It was on top of the table – or not! Snap out of memory lapse with the help of Shatavari! The herb improves blood circulation, properly nourishing brain cells and slowing down neuro-degeneration. Most of all, Shatavari is a good antioxidant, which rids your body of harmful toxins. Its anti-stress property also relaxes the mind. Remember, a calm mind is a productive mind!
- Solve sleeping problems. Disturbances in sleep during menopause is a direct result of decreasing estrogen. This female hormone regulates our sleep-wake pattern. Therefore, when estrogen production is low, sleep is very much affected. Stress is also one factor that causes sleep deprivation. When stressed, our body releases a hormone called cortisol. This hormone gives us a boost of energy to stay alert. However, persistent elevation in cortisol can make us restless. As a result, we are wide-awake at night! Shatavari stimulates estrogenic activity and regulates cortisol in the adrenal glands. As a result, the body achieves hormone balance. When the body is more relaxed, you can have a good night’s sleep and feel energized the next day.
- Boost metabolism. Decreased metabolism is often associated with menopause. This is why we tend to put on some extra pounds during this phase in our lives. But you can ward off excess weight by taking Shatavari! The herb stimulates the thyroid glands to produce its hormones. Our thyroid hormones boosts metabolism, preventing weight gain. Aside from this, they also promote better digestion and rids the body of harmful toxins.
What is Shatavari?
Shatavari has many names. It is also called Asparagus Racemosus, Satavar and Shatamull.
In Sanskrit, the herb has an intriguing name. It is called ‘a hundred spouses’. Before you get all excited – no, it won’t give you 100 husbands! Shatavari is actually called as such because of its many large and fleshy roots.
Many people in India use it as a female health formula. In fact, there are countless fertility supplements made from Shatavari roots. The herb is said to very effective, that it can even help your ovaries nurture healthy and mature egg cells. It also prevents miscarriage, relieves morning sickness, increases breast milk and regulates menstruation.
Aside from promoting reproductive health, Shatavari is also used as a nutritional supplement. It is filled isoflavones, anti-oxidants, fiber and vitamins and minerals, which includes vitamin B, calcium and zinc.
Best of all, it is popularly used as an aphrodisiac! If you want to bring back your mojo and enjoy better sex, you might want to try Shatavari.
Watch this video by John Douillard as he explains the benefits of Shatavari! [2:15]
LifeSpa is a great company that sells all natural Shatavari products. Check their site and see if their products are what you’re looking for!
Shatavari Preparation and Dosage
Shatavari products come in many different forms. They are available in powder and tablet and liquid extracts. Many women prefer using the powder form as it promotes better and faster digestion.
To start, you need to use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Shatavari powder. You can blend this in a glass of warm milk, added with sugar or honey. This herb also goes well with ghee, so you can mix the herb and herbalized ghee for the best nourishing benefits. You can also add it to any of your favorite healthy liquids!
For people who are on the go, Shatavari tablets are more convenient. Aside from this, they do not have a strong taste which is noticeable in the powder form. Shatavari capsules are taken together with water or warm milk. It is also best to take it twice a day, after meals. Or better yet, follow instructions provided by manufacturers.
Liquid extracts are also good because they are easy to take and have longer shelf life. Like the powder form, liquid extracts tend to have a faster effect. They can easily activate the body’s digestive process and other supportive mechanisms.
Shatavari Side Effects
So far, there are no adverse reactions or side effects with Shatavari use. But, it is best to avoid this herb’s consumption if you are allergic to asparagus.
Shatavari also has a diuretic effect. Because of this, observe proper caution, especially if you take diuretics for specific medical treatment. Taking diuretics can lower blood pressure which can cause dizziness and fainting. Due to this, you are more prone to injuries and accidents.
Remember, talk to your doctor if you plan on adding the herb into your daily supplements.
Herbs are great remedies to ease our discomforts during menopause. They have healing properties and are rich in nutrients that can improve our overall health and well-being. Besides Shatavari, there are plenty of other herbs that can help you during menopause. Get to know more about them in our article, “The Best Herbs for Menopause to Balance Hormones and Relieve Symptoms!”
So, what do you think of Shatavari? Is it on your list of must-try herbs? We’d love to know your thoughts, share it below! Sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter for updates.