Essential oils are known a lot for aromatherapy and massages. But these oils have more to offer to your health, especially in the management of menopause symptoms. However, the essential oils in the market today are not made equal. You have to pick the best to make sure you get optimal therapeutic effects. Learn more about essential oil, how to use them and how to choose the right one to buy.
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are the highly concentrated oils that have been extracted from the flower, fruit, leaf, bark, roots or the seeds of a plant. Because of the thickness of the oil, they often have strong aroma and they are also beneficial to human health. These oils are said to carry the highest healing compounds of plants. By saying so, it means that the essential oils offer better therapeutic effects compared to when you use the plants alone.
But where do these oils come from? These oils are naturally present in the plant parts. They are the plant’s defense mechanism, which protects the plants from insects. When used for therapeutic purposes in humans, essential oils are said to be very effective that it helps prevent the use of medications and reduce the possibility of surgeries.
Aside from those facts, many people use essential oils because of its health benefits such as:
- The components of essential oils are very small in size. This allows them to heal the body in the cellular level. This means that healing is optimal with essential oils.
- Most of these oils have antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties.
- They are made from natural ingredients and are processed to keep the oils in their most natural state. Aside from being an effective treatment method, an allergy to the products are less likely to happen.
- Essential oils can be your modern antibiotic! In a health archive, it is said that essential oils are “secret weapons” that have been used successfully to address problems in human and animal health.
- They can be used in humidifiers, aromatherapy, massages and many more!
- Essential oils last for 5 to 10 years! You will only need a few drops of the oil every time you use it, so the price of every bottle is just reasonable, especially if you choose the best in the market.
Best Essential Oils for Menopause
Essential oils are made from different plants. Some of them may have similar effects, but most of them can be used for various reasons. Watch Dr. Axe talk about the common essential oils uses for each different type. Check this video out. (4.14 minutes)
There are many kinds of essential oils you can buy from the market, but here are some of the best types of essential oils that are specifically good for menopause symptom management.
- Clary Sage – This is best for reducing hot flashes, night sweats and sleeping difficulties. A good example is the Clary Sage Essential Oil by Edens Garden.
- Peppermint – good for the management of headaches, fatigues, night sweats and hot flashes. It also helps relieve joint pain, and digestive problems. A good peppermint essential oil like Pure Body Naturals Undiluted Essential Peppermint Oil is non-toxic and is also suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
- Cypress – It can decrease fluid retention, sweating, irritability and hot flashes.
- Chamomile – This is a common essential oil and is known to be good for relieving head and body aches and pains. It can also help manage problems with the skin and difficulty sleeping.
- Basil – If you are feeling lethargic, fatigues or if you find it hard to concentrate on an activity, this oil is good for you.
- Geranium – This is good to treat dry skin and it is also helpful when it comes to balancing your mood or emotions. If you are looking for essential oils for anxiety, depression or irritability, this oil like the Majestic Pure Geranium Essential Oil. may help you stay calm.
- Ylang ylang – This is known to be excellent for giving you good mood and you will feel more relaxed. It can also help with your libido, irritability, muscle tension and hot flashes. A good product for this kind of oil is the Majestic Pure Ylang Ylang (Cananga Odorata) Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil.
- Frankincense – This oil is great to keep your skin healthy and looking young. It can also help regulate your mood, reduces scars, heals bruises and boosts immunity. When used as a home cleaner, it is a good deodorizer, disinfectant and antiseptic. Good brands like Majestic Pure Frankincense and the Frankincense Essential Oil by Edens Garden are perfect for your home.
- Lavender – If you are looking for essential oils for anxiety and sleep problems, you can have this essential oil. it helps relieve sting, rashes, cuts and burns. Look for good therapeutic grade products like Lavender Essential Oil Therapeutic Grade by Radha Beauty.
Using Essential Oils
You can use essential oils in different ways. The most common way to use it is through topical application. When used topically, it is advisable to mix it with a carrier oil like the coconut oil, then apply it to the skin. You can also use it in an aromatic bath. Combine 15 drops of essential oil with half a cup of Epsom salt, pour it into your bathe water and sit in it for a few minutes.
You may also use it as a liquid spray. Peppermint is good to use as a cooling spray for hot flashes! Here’s a video on how to do your own essential oil cooling spray! (0.55 seconds)
Here’s what you’ll need for the DIY hot flash spritz shown in the video.
- PET spray bottle (4 oz Amber PET (plastic) Empty Spray Bottle or Plastic Pet Bottle Empty Refillable 8 Oz)
- Rose water (You can make your own or get Elma and Sana 100% Pure Moroccan Rose Water)
- Lavender or Peppermint Essential oil
For oral use, the following may be done:
- Fill an empty capsule with a few drops of the essential oil and take it with water.
- Get a teaspoon of raw honey and add 1-3 drops of essential oil to consume.
- You may take a teaspoon of coconut oil with 1-3 drops of essential oil.
- You can also add 1-3 teaspoon of essential oil to a glass of water or milk, preferably coconut or almond milk.
Note: This can only be done when the essential oil is legitimately therapeutic grade. Do not ingest essential oils in their synthetic forms. Always check the label and see if it is safe for oral ingestion.
Inhale Naturally or with a Diffuser
You may add 15 drops of essential oil into the warm water to use in a diffuser. Diffusing with lavender essential oils will help you feel better from headache and it makes you feel relaxed. Lemon essential oil helps keep your air in the room clean and fresh. If you want to keep energized, you can add in drops of peppermint essential oil.
If you don’t have a diffuser yet, you can get one like GreenAir Portable Scent Pod Essential Oil Diffuser and the InnoGear® 100ml Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser. For the meantime, you can dab a few drops of essential oil onto a tissue and let it sit in your room. You can also do this while you are driving in your car. You can smell the aroma of the essential oil as you drive.
Choosing the Right Essential Oils
When you buy essential oils, make sure that you choose the ones with therapeutic grade. There are a lot of highly synthetic oils that you can see today, but they are the kinds of oil that have the lowest grade and do not contain therapeutic compounds in them. You may see oils that are labeled as natural or pure. These are the most common types of essential oils in the market. But, they are overly processed types of oils and the lengthened process usually loses the therapeutic compounds of the oil.
There are also those wellness grade essential oils that have healing compounds and went through the same process as the therapeutic grade oils. The only thing that makes this type of oil fall at the second best option is the fact that it may be coming from plants that have been sprayed with pesticides. As much as possible we would want to choose those oils that are produced from the most organic sources. The best and most therapeutic type of oils are certified therapeutic grade. Look for this label in your essential oils to make sure you get the best medicinal oils with the healing properties that are good for you.
We made it easier for you to find good essential oils! Here are some therapeutic grade essential oils you may like and some diffusers to pair the oils with.
| Aromatherapy Top 6 – 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Basic Sampler Essential Oil Gift Set- 6/10 ml Kit|
In just one cute box, you can have your very own essential oils such as Frankincense, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Orange, Peppermint and Lavender! This item is a gift set that you can get for yourself and for your loved ones!
| Calily Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil Set, 10ml – Pack of 14|
With just a box from Calily, you can get 14 kinds of essential oils to use! For a very reasonable price, you can get a great deal from this set. Plus, this item got exemplary rating from hundreds of its users.
| Kis Oil’s Aromatherapy Top 6 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Basic Sampler Essential Oil Gift Set- 6/10 Ml (Lavender, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Orange, Peppermint)|
This highly therapeutic grade essential oils is best for your everyday needs! You can buy set for your family, family and for yourself too!
| Now Foods Ultrasonic Wood Grain Oil Diffuser|
This Wood grain essential oil diffuser is great for your home! It can take up to 150mL or oil and water mixture which can last up to 5 hours of continuous use. Its sleek design is perfect to place in any part of your home. This diffuser has an attractive wooden grain that will surely be an attraction in a room as well!
| GreenAir SpaVapor+ Instant Wellness 150ml Essential Oil Diffuser for Aromatherapy|
This diffuser with a modern design is best for any areas at home! you can also bring one in the office as it can accommodate up to 250 square foot area for a room size. It also has an auto shut off technology that lets you save energy. the sensor detects the water level of the diffuser and shuts off automatically when it is empty.
It is important to know that some essential oils uses ingredients that could cause sensitivity or allergy. If you are highly sensitive to these kinds of items, it is good to test the product first before using it regularly. To test, mix a drop of the essential to half a teaspoon of a base oil, like coconut oil, and rub it on the inner and upper part of your arm. If you notice redness, itchiness or swelling on the area where the oil is applied, you could be allergic to it. In that case, it is best not to continue using that certain oil that you have tested.