Dry, flaky skin, itchy scalp, frizzy hair, dry nails and eyes – do you have these problems? These are issues that many people, both men and women, are very concerned about. But, the symptoms are more common for women in the middle age and who are near the menopause phase. You may ask, are there relevant connections between menopause and these bodily issues? You bet there are! But how? Read more to find out.
Dry Hair, Skin, Nails and Eyes
As a person ages, changes in the body are inevitable. This includes all the systems inside and theis not an exemption. The integumentary system of the body comprises the skin, hair, nails, and the bodily glands, which all undergo changes with age.
During this phase, you don't only experience having dry hair and skin. Both the hair and skin tend to become thin as well. With lesser Honor Society of Nursing, nails grow thicker but slower with age and may have a yellowish discoloration. According to the American Optometric Association, older populations may lose regular lubrication and experience having dry eyes.and , you could start getting gray hair too. The nails do tend to get brittle as one grows older. This is true for everybody and not just the females. According to the
Causes of Dry Hair, Skin, Nails and Eyes in Menopause
The natural process of aging could cause the changes to your body. It may give you dry hair, skin, nails and eyes. And, to give you a picture about why this actually happen, check out some of the common causes below.
- Natural Aging – The skin loses elastin and collagen and fails to shed off the dead skin cells on the surface, which in turn cause dryness and dullness.
- Photo Aging – The UV rays from sunlight exposure could cause skin damage and changes. The skin cells deteriorate and wrinkle when exposed to the sun frequently.
- Environmental Aging – dust particles, smoke and other pollutants, cause damages to the skin as well. Even some beauty products that we use could cause damages, especially those that contain chemicals that are not too safe for the body.
- Hormonal change, where there is decreased levels in the body
- Digestive problems, causing decreased , which in turn destroys the natural absorption of essential oils
- Depletion of trace minerals in the diet. These minerals make the enzymes work for protein (like collagen) breakdown and buildup.
- Dry nails can be caused by underlying medical problems, including diabetes, where poor blood circulation is closely associated.
To learn more about this common problem in menopause, watch Dr. Eric Berg discuss the important nutrients that you should take to improve the health of your Hair, Nails and Skin. Watch The Missing Nutrient in Hair, Nails and Skin by Dr. Eric Berg (7.08 min), below.
Dr Eric Berg is talking about taking trace minerals. You can find his product below!
|Dr. Berg's Trace Minerals (4 oz)|
Plant-Based, Not metallic minerals or salt based minerals. 15,000x smaller than salt-based minerals so 100 percent absorption. Supports nails, hair, skin, collagen and cellular hydration. All cells, enzymes and hormones require trace minerals for their activation. Just 2 dropper full's every day are needed to maintain health requirements of trace minerals – just add to water. Improve your energy both physical and cognitive for more focus and clarity. Great for hydrating your water and with no salt taste.
Basically, you would want to address the problem using the safest and mildest treatments. This will assure you that no more damage will be added to your skin, hair, nails and eyes. But, there are also other ways to help you avoid your eyes, skin, hair and nails from drying. Learn from the tips we have below.
Good Food, Good Life!
- Increase your vitamins and minerals. Choose fruits and vegetables that are rich in Vitamins A, B, C, and E!
- Consume good food with essential fatty acids! Omega 3 ad Omega 6 helps you glow naturally!
- Don't forget your water! Drink at least eight (8) glasses of water daily and avoid sodas and caffeinated drinks.
Smell Great, Feel Great!
- Get enough shower. Choose a short yet satisfying bath for less than 10 minutes.
- Avoid HOT and long baths! take warm baths, instead of hot ones, to keep your body's natural moisture.
- Allow hair to air dry, and avoid wrapping it tightly in a towel.
- Moisturize your skin after bath, while it's damp. Use organic items like the Ivory Shea Butter
Organic is Terrific!
- Limit your use of products on your skin. Natural skin health is great! Let proper nutrition give you glow.
- If you need to apply something for your beauty regimen, choose organic products, which are safer and better.
- Proper supplementation could do as well. Use organic supplements like pure coconut products and aloe vera!
Think Right, Glow Right!
- Feel Good from within. Think positively to bring more positivities to your body.
- Avoid stress and worries. You will glow better if you have a positive outlook and vibe everyday.
- Whatever your mind thinks about, your body responds to it. Recognize your strengths and feel good about it.
Love Yourself and Keep Glowing!
- Give yourself the time to be free! On a normal day, maybe an unplanned one, go outside and have fun!
- Get more rest and enough sleep! Allow your cells to regenerate properly!
- Avoid air from directly bowing into your eyes! It may cause speedy evaporation of your tears and cause your eyes to dry.
- Wear eye glasses, especially if you are to go out and expect a windy environment. A helpful pair of sunglasses works well by covering your eyes from the sun's brightness.
Why not try to make your own cream? It's not difficult! Get these easy D.I.Y. recipes from POPSUGAR Beauty (3.27 min)
This raw coconut oil is excellent for your kitchen! made with high quality extra virgin coconut oil that is best for baking roasting or frying! Need something to use as spread? This coconut oil is yours to spread on your bread too! There's more! You can use it for your skin and hair care regimens as well! Isn't that amazing? Grab yours now!
This all in one face, body, hair and nail treatment is yours to enjoy! This organic Argan oil is certified by the USDA! It helps keep your skin healthy and moisturizes the face deeply! Repairs damaged hair and maintains a lustrous and shiny feel!
Treat Dry Eyes
Treating Dry Nails
Jojoba oils – these are excellent items to keep your nails hydrated and moisturized. Items like FoxBrim 100% Pure Jojoba Oil is great. 100% Pure EcoCert & USDA Certified Organic Jojoba Oil. Absolutely nothing added or removed. No fillers, fragrances, binders or additives.
Collagen to Keep Skin and Hair Healthy
If you've noticed, most skin and hair care products have collagen content. There's a good reason for this! Collagen is a protein that holds your skin, hair and nails together. To have abundant levels of collagen, you need to consume more essential amino acids in your diet.
Aside from keeping our tissues to hold everything in place, collagen is especially known to maintain skin and hair health. It keeps the skin supple and elastic and the hair strong and silky. If you want to get rid of those wrinkles and grow your hair at midlife, collagen is your go-to compound!
In addition to all these, collagen can also preserve bone and joint health, improve digestion and regain hormone balance – which is important in menopause.
One of the sources of collagen is bone broth. Remember when you were sick as a child and your mom made you sip on some yummy and nutritious chicken soup? It's not only good for the soul, it's also good for your body and overall health. Bone broths can be made from bones and marrow, skin, feet, tendons and ligaments. When these animal parts are boiled and simmered, they release healing compounds like collagen and glycine. Bone broths are rich in nutrients, easy to digest and have delicious flavors.
Here are two examples of collagen products which you can check out on Amazon:
- St. Ives Timeless Skin Facial Moisturizer – made from collagen and elastin proteins that will help you achieve smoother and younger looking skin. Women who have dry skin, fine lines and wrinkles can benefit from this product. It is good for all skin types.
- Vital Proteins – pasture-raised, grass-fed and non-GMO. Made from collagen peptides that promotes youthful skin, healthier hair, stronger nails, healthier bones and joints.
BHRT and HRT are other options that you have in the market as well. If other methods do not work, you can check with a medical specialist and see what they can prescribed you with for your treatment. The doctor will be able to provide options for you, so it is best to visit a physician and tell them about your preferences.
Did you experience having dry hair, skin, nails and eyes too? What did yo do to resolve them? Share your secrets with us in the comment box below! Share this article if you want to help others understand why they experience this symptom during menopause.